Alizée America Forum

Alizée America Forum (http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Similarities between Coldplay and J'en ai Marre (http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3807)

lefty12357 06-17-2008 05:56 PM

Espire is right. The basic song structure of both songs uses the same 4 chords in the same order: C# D# G# Fm. They are both in the same key as well. The rhythm is somewhat different and the vocal melody is definitely different. The songs are probably not close enough to win a lawsuit, but I wouldn't doubt Coldplay was at least subconsciously influenced by having heard J’en ai marre in the past. It’s a common problem for songwriters. That 4 chord pattern has been around forever and has been used in many popular songs in one form or another. Usually the progression starts on the G#. MF/LB wrote J’en ai marre.

Euphoria 06-17-2008 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by espire (Post 106537)
The opening chord progressions have a similar structure, and the violins are quite reminiscent of each other as well.

So I guess anyone that uses violins is automatically copying J'en ai marre now. God forbid another song sound anything remotely like one of Alizee's.

espire 06-17-2008 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Euphoria (Post 106539)
So I guess anyone that uses violins is automatically copying J'en ai marre now. God forbid another song sound anything remotely like one of Alizee's.

Well, aren't we grumpy today! :p

The violins are similar not only in that they are both violins, but in the filtering and editing done to the violins, in addition to the melodies played by the violins themselves.

No, using violins does not make this song copied. I never said that it was copied at all, in fact.

TheBarrett 06-17-2008 07:21 PM

Another point of interest.

Coldplay is preferably soothing mind-theater stuff, it is very Radiohead-esque.

Whereas Alizée steals the ever-untamed souls of the male specimen(and occasional female) with catchy upbeat or deep hearted melodies.

TheBarrett 06-17-2008 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Euphoria

Aye! Aye!

/orcish battle cry

Rev 06-17-2008 09:30 PM

Sorry. Close but no cigar.

Different enough that I can't say one copied the other.

Euphoria 06-17-2008 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by espire (Post 106544)
Well, aren't we grumpy today! :p

The violins are similar not only in that they are both violins, but in the filtering and editing done to the violins, in addition to the melodies played by the violins themselves.

No, using violins does not make this song copied. I never said that it was copied at all, in fact.

Sorry, a bit, yes. :o But, I didn't mean you specifically, just in general.

MonteCristo 06-17-2008 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by espire (Post 106537)
The opening chord progressions have a similar structure, and the violins are quite reminiscent of each other as well.

.....the same taste in music often produces the same types of musical feel

espire 06-17-2008 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Euphoria (Post 106583)
Sorry, a bit, yes. :o But, I didn't mean you specifically, just in general.

Haha, no worries :)

tbailey 06-18-2008 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Euphoria (Post 106534)
Lol, is this a joke? Seriously, they don't sound anything alike.

wow! there is definitely a similarity

i wouldn't be surprised if Coldplay had listened to the song and said hey lets change it up a bit and use it for ourselves :p