View Single Post
Old 06-16-2008, 07:49 PM
Perfecting tmesis

Par mon paupieres is on a distinguished road

I really been enjoying reading through this thread as the banter between fans of different football nations is always good fun (within reason obviously).

I'm fortunate enough to currently be in Switzerland in the course of my work as a football writer.While the work can get a bit hectic with various travel chaos and unworkable deadlines , I've really enjoyed what I've seen so far.

I loved the Swiss-Turkey match when the downpour came and the match turned farcical but had an equally dramatic finish.The Portugal-Czech game wasn't too bad either.The highlight for me so far has been the France-Netherlands match.I was in the crowd with the Dutch supporters and it was completely mental as all the goals were flying in and one hell of a party afterward.

As for who's going to win it , I really can't decide.The various contenders have been impressive in various degrees.

Portugal - Inventive attack but can't defend set-pieces
Croatia - Great passing but lack a quality finisher
Netherlands - Looking really good but there is a hand wrapped in orange hovering over the self-destruct button and I'm just waiting for it to be pushed
Spain - Despite looking very threatening with a good strike pair I just don't fancy them for the title

Before the tournament started I was tipping Germany and despite some indifferent displays and a soft centre of defence I still think they'll go very close as no-one plays tournament football as well as the Germans.

I'm not wishing ill-will on France or Italy but I hope that Romania get through tomorrow.Not only will it be a great story but in a moment of inspiration/madness I backed the Dutch and Romanians to qualify from that group at a whopping 66 to 1.Fingers crossed.

Of course the Italians and French have been the biggest disappointments and the tale doing the rounds here is that Switzerland for both teams has been like this years Oscar winner's title "No country for old men".Cruel but true.

In response to the validity of Van Nistelrooy's goal against the Italians although it was proved right the linesman made a mistake but got away with it.The joke doing the rounds here is that Van Nistelrooy was played onside by two Italian fans wearing replica shirts in the front row.

I'll try to keep checking back as this thread is good fun and I'm glad so many of you all across the globe are tuning in.