Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 09-07-2007, 10:50 PM
Breathe in. Breathe out.

SupaKrupa is on a distinguished road

Lol talk about off topic.

Yeh I stayed up to watch this. France's display was quite embarrassing by their standards (2nd ranked in the world). Argentina are a good side but no one (but Jeroh maybe ) would have chosen the argentines over the french, especially under these circumstances - Host nation, opening game.

And Tye, I'm sure they'll bounce back - They've got themselves there a pretty easy pool.

Tu es l'envie du monde
Old 09-08-2007, 01:03 AM
Francophile!:D

Tye is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaKrupa View Post

And Tye, I'm sure they'll bounce back - They've got themselves there a pretty easy pool.
That makes me feel better.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:03 AM
Le fan irlandais

Killian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaKrupa View Post
Lol talk about off topic.

Yeh I stayed up to watch this. France's display was quite embarrassing by their standards (2nd ranked in the world). Argentina are a good side but no one (but Jeroh maybe ) would have chosen the argentines over the french, especially under these circumstances - Host nation, opening game.

I don't mean to be picky, but there are a few things wrong with that post. Firstly, the second I saw the French starting line up and the Argentine, I would have bet Alizée on an Argentine victory. What was Laporte thinking. Skrela in out half? Chabal on the bench? These decisions were ridiculous. Look at Argentina's starting line up. The centre pairing of the Contepomi twins meant that the defence in the middle would be world class. Hernandez at 10 meant Argentina had someone at 10 who could control the game, which France lacked. Corleto at full back, meant someone who could control the game from the back all night. the packs were always going to be fairly matched as most of the Argentine pack play their club rugby in France against/with the French Internationals.
Argetina had a game plan which would work against France. The constant use of up and under/ garryowns put a lacking French defence under pressure all night. The French lacked a decent kicker out of hand, which meant any kicks down the field to the French, were always going to give Argentina a advantage.
The Argentine defence never allowed France to get out of the starting blocks. France have a team who like to run, and need space to do it. Argentina have a team who have an excellent rush defence, meaning a running game is the wrong strategy. You would have to just stuff it up your jumper and charge at them up the pitch. Again, France seemed to lack the leadership both on and off the pitch to do this. Argentina's scramble defence was anything short of perfect, France's turnover ball, never amounted to anything because of it, at one stage resulting in a try.
The French warm up to the game was all wrong as well, they tried to focus on the public and getting them involved rather than the game itself. They hd to have a great start to stand a chance, and when they didn't it was all over....

An example of the French lack of judgement, and the Argentine's great positioning.
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CFxYU-wezHs"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CFxYU-wezHs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

As for France having an easy group. I would hardely call playing Ireland easy. Prior to the match Argetina were 6th in the world, Ireland were 5th. France beat Ireland only on points difference in the six nations. Ireland have the best centre partnership in the world, meaning this channel is blocked to the French as a route of attack. They have outstanding wingers whose defence and attack is great making it diffucult for the French to attack the wings. Ireland have playmakers 10-15, which even Argentina lack, meaning they can make something out of nothing very quickly. All of Ireland's backs, bar maybe one, can kick from hand, and O'Gara is the best touch finder in the world. They have the best 7 in the world, with a brilliant back row, meaning that attacks from the scrums will be diffucult to create for the French. When France beat Ireland in the Six Nations, we were missing both O'Driscoll and Stringer. When those two are on the field Ireland are a different team. We lost by three points to France that day. The next week they returned and we beat England by thirty. The odds are that the group will come down to points difference, with each team winning three games and losing one, but getting a bonus point in their loss.

So don't say France have an easy group, because at the moment there is a strong possibility they could be gone in the first round

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tye View Post
That makes me feel better.
Sorry, for disappointing you with reality

Edit: I just realised most people here aren't rugby fans, and won't want to read that, so I'll summarise. France chose the wrong team, and always set themselves up for disappointment with their gameplan.

Is mo páis agus mo inspioráid í Alizée. Níl aon scamall sa spéir nuair a feicim nó cloisim í.

Last edited by Killian; 09-08-2007 at 06:04 AM..
Old 09-08-2007, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killian View Post
I don't mean to be picky, but there are a few things wrong with that post. Firstly, the second I saw the French starting line up and the Argentine, I would have bet Alizée on an Argentine victory. What was Laporte thinking. Skrela in out half? Chabal on the bench? These decisions were ridiculous. Look at Argentina's starting line up. The centre pairing of the Contepomi twins meant that the defence in the middle would be world class. Hernandez at 10 meant Argentina had someone at 10 who could control the game, which France lacked. Corleto at full back, meant someone who could control the game from the back all night. the packs were always going to be fairly matched as most of the Argentine pack play their club rugby in France against/with the French Internationals.
Argetina had a game plan which would work against France. The constant use of up and under/ garryowns put a lacking French defence under pressure all night. The French lacked a decent kicker out of hand, which meant any kicks down the field to the French, were always going to give Argentina a advantage.
The Argentine defence never allowed France to get out of the starting blocks. France have a team who like to run, and need space to do it. Argentina have a team who have an excellent rush defence, meaning a running game is the wrong strategy. You would have to just stuff it up your jumper and charge at them up the pitch. Again, France seemed to lack the leadership both on and off the pitch to do this. Argentina's scramble defence was anything short of perfect, France's turnover ball, never amounted to anything because of it, at one stage resulting in a try.
The French warm up to the game was all wrong as well, they tried to focus on the public and getting them involved rather than the game itself. They hd to have a great start to stand a chance, and when they didn't it was all over....

An example of the French lack of judgement, and the Argentine's great positioning.
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CFxYU-wezHs"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CFxYU-wezHs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

As for France having an easy group. I would hardely call playing Ireland easy. Prior to the match Argetina were 6th in the world, Ireland were 5th. France beat Ireland only on points difference in the six nations. Ireland have the best centre partnership in the world, meaning this channel is blocked to the French as a route of attack. They have outstanding wingers whose defence and attack is great making it diffucult for the French to attack the wings. Ireland have playmakers 10-15, which even Argentina lack, meaning they can make something out of nothing very quickly. All of Ireland's backs, bar maybe one, can kick from hand, and O'Gara is the best touch finder in the world. They have the best 7 in the world, with a brilliant back row, meaning that attacks from the scrums will be diffucult to create for the French. When France beat Ireland in the Six Nations, we were missing both O'Driscoll and Stringer. When those two are on the field Ireland are a different team. We lost by three points to France that day. The next week they returned and we beat England by thirty. The odds are that the group will come down to points difference, with each team winning three games and losing one, but getting a bonus point in their loss.

So don't say France have an easy group, because at the moment there is a strong possibility they could be gone in the first round

Sorry, for disappointing you with reality

Edit: I just realised most people here aren't rugby fans, and won't want to read that, so I'll summarise. France chose the wrong team, and always set themselves up for disappointment with their gameplan.
Don't be sorry. I am glad you took the time to explain this. I don't get to watch the matches, and I am glad someone who did is taking the time to explain what went wrong. It dissappoints me that France made those mistakes, but I can hope that they will not continue to make these mistakes. If they do, well, their isn't much I can do about it. Thank you for taking the time to type that up, and explain what went wrong.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:33 PM
Le fan irlandais

Quote:
Don't be sorry. I am glad you took the time to explain this. I don't get to watch the matches, and I am glad someone who did is taking the time to explain what went wrong. It dissappoints me that France made those mistakes, but I can hope that they will not continue to make these mistakes. If they do, well, their isn't much I can do about it. Thank you for taking the time to type that up, and explain what went wrong.
That is an area we will have to agree to disagree on, I'm afraid. Being Irish, I would hope they continue being reckless and making bad decisions, so as to ensure Ireland have a safe route, through the group. The two I would most like to see leave the group are Argentina and Ireland. I feel that Argentina are an unbelievable phenomenon, in the fact that they have that level of ability without having a compitition such as the Tri Nations and the Six Nations to compete in and have no regular matches against the top teams in the world. If Argentina get of the group, it would force the IRB to rectify these downright disgraceful oversight, and would thus, improve world rugby. Argentina are a side whom I greatly respect, and believe it is time the world recognised that they can hold their own against the best. Plus, I don't share many happy memories with Les Bleus.

Is mo páis agus mo inspioráid í Alizée. Níl aon scamall sa spéir nuair a feicim nó cloisim í.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:43 PM

Quote:
That is an area we will have to agree to disagree on, I'm afraid. Being Irish, I would hope they continue being reckless and making bad decisions, so as to ensure Ireland have a safe route, through the group. The two I would most like to see leave the group are Argentina and Ireland. I feel that Argentina are an unbelievable phenomenon, in the fact that they have that level of ability without having a compitition such as the Tri Nations and the Six Nations to compete in and have no regular matches against the top teams in the world. If Argentina get of the group, it would force the IRB to rectify these downright disgraceful oversight, and would thus, improve world rugby. Argentina are a side whom I greatly respect, and believe it is time the world recognised that they can hold their own against the best. Plus, I don't share many happy memories with Les Bleus.
We all have different preferences and wants about things, Killian. So I can accept that you want different things to happen with France. Do you care to share those unhappy memories with Les Bleus?
Old 09-09-2007, 04:55 AM
Le fan irlandais

Quote:
We all have different preferences and wants about things, Killian. So I can accept that you want different things to happen with France. Do you care to share those unhappy memories with Les Bleus?
Yes, two years running they have one the Six Nations, when Ireland were, arguably a better team, at least just as good. Meaning ireland have had to settle for the Triple Crown, and live with the memory of their last victory in 1985. Let's just say this doesn't bring about many happy memories. They also knocked us out of the World Cup in 2003, which doesn't really help all hat much.
I think if they got the taste of just barely losing out for once, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:18 AM

Piblokto is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I think if they got the taste of just barely losing out for once, it wouldn't be the end of the world.
As a rugby lover, I have much respect for the Irish team, but this time I sincerely hope the French will have the real bad taste of winning their next matches.
It won't be the end of the world (c'est la vie), but I would be extremely disapointed if they don't, and I think I'm not the only one here...

BTW your analysis are very good, and for our US friends who may not know, could you explain what is the the Triple Crown ?